Today, got up had my orange juice, vitamins ,made my coffee and cooked my Irish Oatmeal. On Sunday’s I always listen to NPR ,http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102212589 and than I heard it, Three Oakland California Officer’s http://www.oaklandpolice.com/ gunned down by a parole out of jail on charges of assault with a weapon. See http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11970081?source=most_viewed , http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/21/MNVB16KU75.DTL
First a fact : Oakland has a homicide rate nearly 5 times the national average, and as crime decreased the last decade this City had an increase. http://www.rand.org/pubs/working_papers/2004/RAND_WR129.pdf
Here is the first official version: “Sergeants Daniel Sakai and Ervin Romans, SWAT team members, were killed when they attempted to apprehend a suspect that had earlier in the day, killed Sergeant Mark Dunakin during a traffic stop.
At about 1:15 pm, two motorcycle officers tried to pull over a car on a traffic stop at 74th Avenue and MacArthur Boulevard, when the driver opened fire, killing Sergeant Dunakin and gravely wounding the second officer. The gunman then fled on foot, leading to an intense manhunt by dozens of Oakland police, California Highway Patrol officers, and Alameda County sheriff deputies.
At about 3:30 pm, after receiving an anonymous tip, the suspect was located barricaded inside an apartment building. The gunman fired an assault rifle at officers who came into the building to arrest him. Sergeants Ervin Romans and Daniel Sakai of the SWAT team were killed and a third officer was grazed by a bullet. Police returned fire, killing the 26-year-old male suspect, who was wanted for violating his parole after a conviction for assault with a deadly weapon.”
Issues: 95 % OF CALIFORNIA OFFENDERS ARE ON PAROLE! UN -REAL!
1. NPR is already stating ” tensions with the police are high” due to a past shooting ( and tragic death of an unarmed African American man by “BART” Police Officers . This comparison is a defacto justification ” police cause tension”, and it assumes the part of the causation is public anxiety caused by the Police. How about tension caused by drug dealers, pimps, robber’s, burglars, gangs and other assorted deviates who break the law, and are paroled by political hacks. This spin in light of 4 dead cops is evidence that the media is biased and pre-judgmental in reporting about law enforcement.
2. The shooter is a parole, and he was armed with an assault weapon. Do you really, really think Parole works, do you really really think think this is an isolated incident a parole with a gun. No, the only reason you read about it is that Cops were killed.
3. Police “critics” are already demanding to know ” what was the traffic stop for”. Well as the Officer’s are dead, we may never know, but it will raised the defensed of ” racial profiling”. Police must always defend and justify their actions.
4. God rest these brave men, and my sincere condolences to their families.
5. As the economy worsens, the States, are increasing releasing prisoners, and paroles to save money. See http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28592088/
6. Early parole release is a danger to the public ; see http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/11/22/news/sandiego/zcdcf801d161939698825748e0060c21f.txt
7. According to the Little Hoover Commission California puts 95% of offenders on parole. See http://www.lhc.ca.gov/lhcdir/172/execsum172.pdf